For immediate hire
Colorado Staff Attorney (1-year Fellowship with potential for long-term) (Denver, CO)
The Nonhuman Rights Project (NhRP), a US-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is hiring a Colorado Staff Attorney to be based in Denver for a 1-year fellowship (with potential to be extended to at least three years).
The Colorado Staff Attorney will report directly to NhRP leadership and will work alongside the University of Denver Law School in conjunction with Professor Justin Marceau.
The major responsibilities of the Colorado Staff Attorney will include research and preparation of one or more lawsuits to be filed in Colorado seeking common law rights to bodily liberty for nonhuman animals, most likely elephants, but will include other NhRP work. This will involve factual and legal research, drafting of legal memoranda, and preparation of litigation filings in conjunction with the work of other NhRP lawyers.
Specific job requirements:
- You are deeply committed to attaining legal rights for nonhuman animals both in the United States and abroad.
- You want to make history.
- You have at least 5 years of relevant experience, preferably including trial and appellate experience.
- You have excellent writing skills. Published law review articles and/or books are a plus, but not necessary.
- You have excellent interpersonal skills.
- You work well both remotely and in-person on long-term complex legal projects.
- You are admitted to practice law in a US jurisdiction, preferably Colorado.
- You are based in the Denver area or are willing to relocate there.
- This position requires a deep long-term commitment to gaining personhood and legal rights for nonhuman animals and a willingness to learn how to accomplish it.
To apply: Please email a cover letter and CV/resume, combined as a single PDF, to NhRP Executive Director Kevin Schneider (KSchneider@nonhumanrights.org).